i returned to work full time three weeks ago, and have been doing quick cooking… i sure missed my slow cooker and the freedom it offered (translate: toddler whining and hanging on my leg the entire time i am trying to put dinner together quickly OR toddler scrambling up stairs halfway while i am trying to cut raw chicken… OR, you get the idea). This morning i decided i needed to get back to my easy breezy slow cooking, but it also had to have the most minimal prep because i needed to get out of the house before 7:30am / the trick is to use really tasty pasta sauce (i opted for puttenesca sauce because of the olives and capers, yum). The best part was coming home and just devoting play time to Asa, and then everyone sitting down to dinner happily. phew!
(note: my slow cooker is only 3.5 quarts, you should double the recipe if yours is 5-6 quarts)
- 1 16 oz-container ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 16 oz chopped spinach (make sure it’s dry)
- 1 jar (24 oz) pasta sauce
- 6-8 large lasagna noodles, uncooked (i used no boil)
- In medium bowl, combine ricotta cheese, ¾ cup mozzarella, Parmesan cheese, eggs, and spinach.
- In slow cooker, spread ½ cup pasta sauce. Layer 2 lasagna noodles, broken to fit, then ½ cup pasta sauce and ½ of the spinach/cheese mixture; repeat. Top with remaining 2 lasagna noodles and 1 cup pasta sauce.
- Cook covered on LOW 5 to 6 hours (time depends on how hot your slow cooker gets)
- Sprinkle with remaining (or more!) mozzarella cheese. Cover and cook an additional 10 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
I served this with a side of italian sausages… because we are really bad vegetarians.