i love chinese steamed buns, and savoury fillings that go with it. here, an extremely low maintenance but delicious pairing. perfect for appetizers and lazy Sundays.
Slow Cooker "Pulled" Chinese BBQ Chicken
Recipe type: appetizer, main
- 2-3 lbs chicken
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 large piece fresh ginger, about 2½ inches long
- 8-12 oz hoisin sauce
- add chilli paste (if you like it spicy)
- Rub chicken with soy sauce and pepper, marinade for 20-30 minutes.
- Put chicken in the slow cooker.
- Add smashed garlic cloves, tucking them around the chicken.
- Peel and grate the ginger and put it in too.
- Pour the hoisin sauce over everything.
- Cover and cook on low for about 10 hours or high for 5 hours.
- When finished and tender, use two large forks to shred the meat and mix it with the sauce.
- Serve with sweet chinese steamed buns and sriracha (add cucumbers and scallions if desired).