- This topic is empty.
November 16, 2020 at 4:03 pm #22118Matthew FulksGuest
Iraq, Afghanistan, and the Home Front, in the Words of U.S. Troops and Their Families
by Andrew Carroll, Dana Gioia, Jack Lewis
- ISBN: 9781400065622 (1400065623)
- Release date: September 12, 2006
- Author: Andrew Carroll, Dana Gioia, Jack Lewis
- Genres: war, history, anthologies
- Language: english
- Format: hardcover, 386 pages
- Publisher: Random House (NY)
About The Book
“Here is what you will not find in the news-the personal cost of war written as clear and beautiful as literature worthy of the name is. These stories are the real thing, passionate, imaginative, searing.”
-Richard Bausch, author of “Wives & Lovers”
The first book of its kind, “Operation Homecoming “is the result of a major initiative launched by the National Endowment for the Arts to bring distinguished writers to military bases and inspire U.S. Marines, soldiers, sailors, and airmen and their families to record their wartime experiences. Encouraged by such authors as Tom Clancy, Mark Bowden, Bobbie Ann Mason, Tobias Wolff, Jeff Shaara, and Marilyn Nelson, American military personnel and their loved ones wrote candidly about what they saw, heard, and felt while in Afghanistan and Iraq, as well as on the home front. Taken together, these almost one hundred never-before-published eyewitness accounts, private journals, short stories, letters, and other personal writings become a dramatic narrative that shows the human side of warfare.
– the fear and exhilaration of heading into battle;
– the interactions between U.S. forces and Afghans and Iraqis, both as enemies and friends;
– the boredom, gripes, and humorous incidents of day-to-day life on the front lines;
– the anxiety and heartache of worried spouses, parents, and other loved ones on the home front;
– the sheer brutality of warfare and the physical and emotional toll it takes on those who fight;
– the tearful homecomings for those who returned to the States alive- and the somber ceremonies for those who made the ultimate sacrifice for their nation.
From riveting combat accounts to profound reflections on warfare and the pride these troops feel for one another, “Operation Homecoming” offers an unflinching and intensely revealing look into the lives of extraordinary men and women. What they have written is without question some of the greatest wartime literature ever published.
“Andrew Carroll has given America a priceless treasure.”
-Tom Brokaw, on “War Letters”
Proceeds from this book will be used to provide arts and cultural programming to U.S. military communities. For more information, please go to http://www.OperationHomecoming.gov.
Hardback ebook Operation Homecoming by Andrew Carroll buy on Kobo. Hardcover book Operation Homecoming download on Android. TXT Operation Homecoming Andrew Carroll for Kindle. Online ebook Operation Homecoming read online on Booktopia. FB2 Operation Homecoming by Andrew Carroll download on Powells.
FictionBook book Operation Homecoming buy cheap PC. MOBI book Operation Homecoming Andrew Carroll read for iPad. PDF ebook Operation Homecoming on Dymocks. EPUB Operation Homecoming by Andrew Carroll buy cheap iOS on IndieBound. MP3 Operation Homecoming.
Paperback ebook Operation Homecoming download on iPhone. EPUB book Operation Homecoming Andrew Carroll read on Walmart. Hardback book Operation Homecoming download on Mac. MP3 ebook Operation Homecoming by Andrew Carroll on Amazon. Online Operation Homecoming buy for reader.