i simply must share these little heavenly treats because they are so truly divine, everytime…
Flourless Chocolate Cupcakes
Recipe type: dessert
do read through the instructions before commencing...
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped (or 1½ cups semisweet chocolate chips)
- 6 large eggs, separated, room temperature
- ½ cup sugar
- zest of one orange
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners.
- Melt butter and chocolate in a large heatproof bowl set over (not in) a pan of simmering water. Stir to combine, then remove bowl from heat and let cool slightly. Whisk in egg yolks.
- With an electric mixer on medium speed, whisk egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating until peaks are stiff and glossy but not dry (do not overbeat).
- Whisk one quarter of the beaten egg whites into chocolate mixture to lighten; gently fold mixture into remaining whites.
- Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each ¾ full. Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until cupcakes are just set in centers, about 25 minutes. Transfer tins to wire racks to cool completely before removing cupcakes (their centers will sink).
- Dust with powdered sugar and top with orange zest.
- Cupcakes are best eaten the same day they are baked; keep at room temperature until ready to serve, topped with scoops of ice cream, if desired.